Reaction Hazards and Thermal Runaway carry with them inherent risk of control loss and devastating effects on life and the environment.
Exothermic chemical reactions are performed the world over by companies as part of the normal manufacture of their products and intermediates. These reactions carry with them an inherent risk of loss of control, with potentially devastating effects on life and the environment.
How DEKRA Can Help
With a wealth of experience, technical expertise and specialist equipment we produce a range of solutions combining laboratory test data with expert consultancy advice for the following services:
Identification and Assessment of Process Hazards
- Thermal stability screening tests and thermochemical calculations
- Reaction calorimetry including elevated pressure and reflux work using Mettler RC1TM
- Adiabatic calorimetry and runaway simulation
- Environmental discharge studies.
- Safety measure selection and specification
- Emergency vent design (DIERS methodology)
- Knock out and quench vessel sizing
- Reaction inhibition work
Chemical Process Development and Optimisation
Many existing chemical processes could be run much more efficiently with improved yield, better quality and greater speed. Our experience has shown that it is possible to accomplish these results without compromising safety or increasing environmental impact. Companies can take advantage of this opportunity to achieve financial gain and an increased competitive edge.
- Review existing processes and develop new ones
- Conduct automated laboratory reaction studies
- Test under reflux and at elevated pressures
- Perform factorial experimental designs
- Assess safety and environmental implications of process change
- Make practical and economical recommendations
- Adiabatic Dewar calorimetry
- Accelerating Rate Calorimetry (ARC)
- Reaction calorimetry using Mettler RC1TM
- Carius tube screening
- Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)
- Gas evolution rate measurements
- Mass spectroscopy
- Evaluation of highly energetic materials
- Experimental blast chamber facility
- Handling of toxic and highly active materials